Formalities for international students

Formalities for international students

University application procedures in Italy vary depending on whether you are an EU or a non-EU student, and whether you’re applying at undergraduate or graduate level.

The first step

In general, the first step is to contact your chosen university to check the entry requirements for your chosen degree program. Once your eligibility is confirmed, you must submit a pre-application request form to the Italian embassy or consulate in your country of origin along with the relevant documentation. You will need to get your documents translated into Italian by an approved translator. The form you need to fill out will vary depending on whether you are an EU or non-EU student and your degree subject.

EU students

Formalities for international studentsIf you are an EU student, the embassy through which you are applying will send you a Letter of Academic Eligibility and Suitability, which acknowledges your foreign studies prior to applying to universities in Italy. The embassy will then send your documents to your chosen university and you will receive confirmation of acceptance (or rejection) directly from the university.

Non-EU students

If you are a non-EU student, the Italian embassy or consulate will find out if your application meets the criteria for a visa to study in Italy.

Here is a list of the basic qualifications required for entry into the Italian universities:

  1. Secondary School Diploma obtained after at least 12 years of schooling, when applying for an undergraduate course;
  2. Bachelor of Science or equivalent, when applying for Master programmes;
  3. Master’s degree, when applying for doctoral programmes or medical specialization schools.

Students from countries where admission to university is possible after 10 or 11 years of study must prove that they have attended the local university and passed all necessary examinations for 2 years or 1 year, so as to reach a total of 12 years of study. As an alternative to university studies they must prove to have a post-secondary title. In any case they must have passed the University entrance examination in their country, if required by law.

Comments to "Formalities for international students"