If you don’t have any experience of travelling alone, you’ll have lots to consider, from loneliness to the difficulties of a foreign language or coping with your luggage. Even if you’re used to solo holidays, it’s useful to do some background research on practicalities and safety considerations. It will be worth the effort as you will find that exploring Italy on your own can be a very rewarding experience. So, here are some tips that will help while you’re visiting Italy.
- Be cautious. Especially if you are a young woman you need to be twice as cautious of your surroundings. Try to stick to crowded touristy places and make sure to stay aware of your belongings.
- Pack light. You’re going to save money and be more mobile if you pack light. It requires a bit more planning to have a wardrobe that stretches from hiking boots to high heels but it can be done. Choose a base color (black, brown, beige, navy), a contrast color (white, beige) and a color or two to accessorize and pull it all together.
- Dress conservatively. Maybe revealing tops and short skirts should be fine but, in reality, they can get you into trouble in many countries. You are always more vulnerable when you’re off your home turf so compensate by dressing conservatively.
- Women can also be dangerous. Women often feel safer with other women. But it’s worth to remember that they can also be as dangerous as men so stay always aware of this fact.
- Take care of your feet. Choosing the right shoes will make your vacation the most comfortable as there will probably be lots of walking. So, instead of high heels choose flats or tennis shoes.
- Pamper yourself. While travelling alone try to relax and visit spa salons or thermal springs of Italy.