It is important to know some basic tips on surviving the heat in the country as it can make your vacation very disappointing. In order to avoid the most common mistakes tourists make you should follow these tips.
- Make sure there is air conditioning in your accommodation. It is wise to double check if there is an air conditioning in the place you are staying in. Almost all hotels will offer you such service but other types of accommodation may not.
- Drink lots of water. In Italy you can drink tap water as its safe. There are fountains all over major cities so make use of them. It is wise to have a bottle to refill as it can save you considerable amount and it is also better for the environment.
- Dress comfortably but also appropriately for churches. While visiting Italy you will definitely want to see its magnificent churches and cathedrals. It important to have something with you to throw on, as your shoulders and knees should be covered while visiting such places. At the same time, even though the churches aren’t air-conditioned, they are usually cool inside.
- Pack a light backpack. Of course, if you will have heavy backpack it will make you even hotter. So, unless you are hiking in the mountains or have a baby, consider packing light and take only essentials such as water, documents and snacks.
- Take sightseeing slowly. Slow down and pick the best sights you want to visit, because if you want to see everything in one day you will get nothing but stress. Try to have a rest as often as possible as it also may be dangerous for your health to strain yourself.
- Find naturally-cool sights. Churches, underground ruins and catacombs are often cooler than the outdoors so it is a good idea to visit such places during high temperatures.
- Hot and crowded museums. It is noteworthy that many of the Italy’s major museums including the Vatican Museums and the Uffizi Gallery don’t have air conditioning. So, when going to museums try to avoid both the crowds and the heat. It is a good idea to visit museums as early in the morning as possible or late in the evening as some of them may be open until 11pm.